Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Thread of Conversations...

Sorry for the photo quality- I still haven't gotten my camera fixed!  Anyway, here are some photos of the thread dress in situ at Cafe Estelle's:


The opening was a really nice affair:  there was beer and fruit and veggies and a fair few people.  A huge group of my awesomely supportive friends came, which was lovely.  I have mixed feelings about the Estelle's group shows because, as you might be able to see from this shot, a lot of the art tends to be... of a different ilk than my creations.  I tried to express this to another artist in the show (don't worry!  Someone that I knew and who had also made awesomely creative work!)  but she proceeded to tell me that I'm getting snooty.

Am I getting art-snooty??!?  I was really more commenting on the fact that my art doesn't tend to fit in with coffee shop art.  The cafe wanted to make sure I put a price next to it in case anyone wanted to buy it, which I did, but.... I can't quite see anyone deciding to spend $100 on an unwearable dress made entirely from recycled thread ends over their morning coffee.


Anyway.  I think it's pretty.  But I made it, so... there.  :0)


***PS:  I still totally intend to put up photos of the Closer to Fine opening!  But if I've learned anything from this whole experience it's that artists are fricken' flakey.  I'm waiting to get some shots from the event so that I can prove that there as many people there as I say there were!  Soon soon soon... hopefully!***




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it's worth $100. It looks terrific. Don't sell your work short. Even impractical art lovers drink coffee!